Tuesday, July 03, 2007

My bracelet broke

There's an interesting belief about jade jewelry. A necklace or bracelet of just jade beads is believed in Asia (primarily China) to protect its wearer from harm. If the necklace/bracelet breaks, it's said that it has just saved the life of its wearer.

Now the bracelet I made wasn't just jade, and it didn't break so much as the weight of the beads finally slipped the knot that had been securing them to one piece of the nickel fastener. But it happened suddenly, and while I managed to catch most of the beads... I lost three: one pink quartz and two jade.

The bracelet was made to help me heal, to inspire, and to protect. The beads that remain can be re-fashioned, made into something stronger and with a structure that improves on the first attempt. The 3 beads—two jade and one pink quartz—that I lost somewhere in the Border's Seattle Best Cafe had done all they could for me.

So I hope they're found, small treasures, by someone else. Someone who needs them.

There are many stories in this.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

oooh! Cool!

Rachel Vincent said...

Oh, I love that belief!

Karen Mahoney said...

That's so beautiful - both the belief itself, and also your sentiment re. the lost beads... I hope they're found by the 'right' person, too.

p.s. just in case I don't get a chance to email until later in the week, have a safe journey and a wonderful visit with your family. I'll have something to send you in a couple of days... *g*

c.rooney said...

Thanks, girls. I can't cite the source of the belief... I heard it from a friend while in Japan, but no idea where he had heard it from.

KT said...

This is an awesome entry, C. I'm sorry for the loss of the bracelet though. The last time that happened with one of mine, it was made of blue sunstone (star stone) which I'm pretty sure has very little if any traditional spiritual value, but does have personal meaning to me. I still have almost all the beads, except for a few, which had been made into small pendants for other people. I found my coloured wire when I was packing up for the move, so I really should do that with the rest...