Thursday, October 25, 2007

Colds are tricky bastards. You'll think that you've recovered, only to find its mutated into something that causes you to have a coughing fit in the morning instead of at seven o'clock at night.

Finally feeling ready to rejoin the world, and possibly kick some ass.

As I am up to my tailbone in revisions, I thought maybe I'd share my process to see if its radically different from any of yours. My manuscript is separated into two parts, and I have completed redrafting part one, which was relatively solid to begin with as it was based on pre-existing material. I moved on to part two this week, and that's all new material that's going to require more attention and work. When I do a first draft, it tends to wander along and stumbled over tree roots, and get sidetracked by interesting cloud formations. That...uh...autistic draft rarely is shown to anyone, because I go through and give it a redraft so it's a little more social and able to communicate. After the tightening I get draft 2, which is the first draft that I show to readers for feedback.

As I had mentioned to Karen a couple weeks ago, I am playing with ideas for a sequel, but I'm intending to use NaNoWriMo to jump start a fresh project so that I can return to the manuscript's world hungry for new adventures. It won't be the traditional NaNo—I'll be aiming for more than 30,000 words with an effort made to reach the 50,000 word mark.

Anyone else throwing their hat in this November, or are you waiting for JanNoWriMo?

Oh, and in case I haven't mentioned it lately... Agent M is awesome. I'm so grateful and happy to be working with her.

1 comment:

Sarah Kimberly said...

I'm going to try my hand at this NaNoWriMo business. Registered and everything.

So far all I have is a vague concept and a single character. But I think it'll be an interesting exercise.

Is JanNoWriMo the same thing but in January?