Thursday, November 01, 2007

Ye Olde NaNoWriMo




As the frights and sights of Halloween fade into echoes and afterimages, the clock strikes midnight and writers in multiple nations begin their quest for bragging rights.

Yes, lovelies, NaNoWriMo—National Novel Writing Month—is upon us, and thousands of eager writers are trying their hand at the official and many unofficial NaNo friendly competitions.

The golden number is 1667 words a day, 30 days in a row, to produce a 50,000 word novel. Or 50,000 words towards a longer novel. Or 50,000 words in your current novel. Everyone seems to have their own take, because it's not necessarily the "rules" but the challenge that matters.

With Karen Mahoney and Renee Sweet, I have thrown my hat into the ring. Our goal is 30,000 words (or 1000 words a day for this month.)

Yet before my NaNo even got its play button hit, I'm finding a software glitch. The 30,000 words were supposed to be put into a brand YA novel that I've spent most of October excited about starting. However, my adult manuscript is stalled at chapter 22, as I am having to rewrite the second part. Now I have to decide if I hold off on the YA or risk losing the momentum again on the adult manuscript.

I asked Agent M regarding what she'd want to see first, and I will use her input to decide what is strategically wisest. If she feels a YA novel is something I should move on, 30,000 words would probably get me halfway through the first draft. But it means another month delay on the adult one being finished.

Ok, I know, the answer seems to be to use the "shuffle" feature and mix up the time spent on the projects, since we're not doing official NaNo anyway. Or maybe I could write the YA by hand in a note book, and work on the rewrite strictly by keyboard to help make a distinction. Yes! All right, I will try today. Time to get out the pen and paper... find a nice, quiet coffee shop... and kick all your arses.

How do you balance multiple projects? Do you? What's on your NaNo?

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Yay! Remember it's one word at a time. One page at a time.

Karen Mahoney said...

That pic is just so cool. I can see it better here. :)

Jamie Ford said...

I'm busy editing. I started a YA novel and was tempted to hammer away at it during NaNo, but just couldn't until I got the edit handled.

I do work on multiple projects, but never competing projects...ie...two novels of the same genre. So I'm editing HOTEL, working on this YA thing and just submitted a treatment for a graphic novel. As long as they're different projects, it's all good.