Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Encouragement

Yesterday I received an email from Diane Walton of ON SPEC informing me that she was submitting The Rainy Season for consideration to the 2007 Journeys Prize. This is one of Canada's most prestigious literary awards for new and emerging literary talent. All the short-listed entrants appear in the annual Journey Stories anthology, and the award has been won by authors like Yann Martel (Life of Pi.) The winner does receive a cash prize, as well as a smaller cash prize is award to the magazine who ran the short story. A nod to the role they play in discovering and encouraging new talent.

While bewildered—perhaps even gobsmacked, I'm deeply grateful that she believed my little story deserved to be presented to the judges. Do I want to win? Oh, yes, absolutely. Do I think I will win? I would gladly accept if I did, but to be considered worthy by someone is a victory in itself.

3 comments:

Rachel Vincent said...

Awesome!Congratulations, and good luck!

Chandra Rooney said...

Thank you, Rachel! :)

Rachel said...

WOW! That is HUGE! Congratulations and good luck to you and to On Spec!