Monday, February 18, 2008

I spent the past week having a little vacation from my life, which worked about as well as any vacation. Meaning, for the most part, it served its purpose of distracting and inspiring me, but I still managed to worry about things.

I came to realize that I do love Los Angeles, even if I'm no longer convinced I want to live here. Thus proving that a place has more than one side—the surface, that you fall in love with and want to stay to be in, and the depth that contains the heart of the city. Can you vacation somewhere and know it down to the bottom of those depths? No, I don't think you can. You can glimpse it in the corner of your eye across the bar. See it sparkle and shine, but you don't know what it looks like when it's hauling its weary, hung-over self home the next morning.

It's still fascinating to watch it have to wait for the light to change, reeking of alcohol and missed opportunities, but I think I want to observe from the opposite corner for a while.

No comments: