Thursday, February 21, 2008

The way I see it...

Created from a prompt for a writing exercise. I'm not certain who this character is.

The way I see it, it’s a necessary evil like telling your friend’s parents that she’s at your house when you knew she went up to make out ridge with that boy they don’t approve of. You know it’s wrong to lie, but it’s an untruth told out of fear of social abandonment.

Fashion is the same way. You don’t really like skinny jeans—no one does, but loss of circulation is still less painful than loss of status.

If we didn’t have the hierarchy, things would fall apart. We need the popular and unpopular to condition us for the real world. Best we learn now that wealth and beauty mean power, or we’d grow up with an unrealistic belief like hard work and honesty garner success.

Being unpopular prepares us for the merciless, uncaring world that school and our parents shelter us from. People who refuse to accept this are only harming themselves. The way I see it, we’re doing you a favor.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Cool!

Rachel Vincent said...

Wow. I'm not sure who this character is either, but I'm pretty sure I know her. ;-)