Wednesday, March 26, 2008

It's all about the characters

There is an answer that every writer wants to ideally hear when they speak with their agent, but each of us quantify that success in a different way. Some writers think a solid world is the mark of a successful manuscript. Others want to be told that their love scenes were steamy or their fight scenes choreographed like an expert.

For me, it's a character that grabbed you. That you can unquestioningly state is your favorite. I got that from my CP. (Hoo boy, did I ever! She's been bewitched, the poor dear.) Today, at my request, I learned who it was that captured my agent. (Not the same character, which can only be a good thing.) A capture that occurred within the first page.

There are other things she could have told me, but nothing means more than what she did say. In the end that connection is the only thing that matters.

What was the last character you fell for within the first page?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hmmm. Not sure. I need to think on that one.