Wednesday, July 30, 2008

So it's been a week...

I have made many lovely jewelry things.

I have also acquired a job, which I have mixed feelings about. While it's an interesting store and I like my co-workers, the establishment sells both kinds of incense that I have an allergic reaction to (similar to the reaction I have to cigarette smoke.) They aren't burning the incense, but its boxed quantities are causing me to leave my demi-shift with a headache, burning eyes and an inability to breathe through my nose. I foresee this being a general problem, but haven't determined how to resolve it. Even going to work on an anti-histamine doesn't appear to prevent me the reaction.

Strong incense has always bothered me, but it appears after living in a scent-free home for over three years, it's gotten to the point that I can't be around boxes and boxes of it in an enclosed space for more than an hour at a time.

The short story I started the writing challenge to finish is finished, but the second I begun to meet the challenge requirements is not going so well. Either my head just isn't with it, or it's too with it and I'm placing an unreasonable amount of pressure on the writing. Varies between the former and the latter from day to day.

Revisions on the YA manuscript have been completed. There's a aspect of the manuscript I need to speak to Miriam about, as I've gotten a split response from the two readers, which means it's likely one of those things people either love or hate. She, however, is at RWA in San Francisco, which means I'm likely best to do up my short "treatments" (by using this word it's somehow easier to write them) of what I intend to do for the following books, and send it all to her next week.

Oh, Jocelynn Drake's debut Nightwalker hit the shelves yesterday. Congratulations, Jocelynn!

3 comments:

JohnEvans said...

Ack, I'm not good with incense either. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. :/

Regarding your second story, just go ahead and write it...Trust the universe! I'm sure you'll do great. ;) Hang in there!

C. Leigh Purtill said...

you heard about our earthquake? guess you're not missing THAT about LA! :)

Rachel said...

Are there any fans in the store? When I worked around someone who was sensitive to cologne, she would set up a fan whenever a customer with cologne on came in. She still got headaches, but it moved the air around and kept the scent from sitting in the office around her.

Or, volunteer for every errand that takes you out of the room.