Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Tarot Cafe Novel

Now that I've received word the work-for-hire project was revealed at Anime Expo, I can officially announce what my editor, Jenna, and I have been working diligently on: The Tarot Cafe Novel! This light novel is a companion story to the seven volume manhwa (Korean comic) The Tarot Cafe by Sang-Sun Park, who will be providing the illustrations for the light novel.

You may sign up via Amazon.com for product information alerts. As far as I know, it will be released sometime in January 2009.

Jenna contacted me in September of last year after finding my blog (this blog.) After I provided an original writing sample and sample chapter/outline, TOKYOPOP made an offer. After I signed with Miriam, and she finished negotiating the contract terms, Jenna and I began working on a new story that we could tell within the amazingly rich and detailed mythology of Park's world.

Don't worry fans, Park approved the outline for the story and she also offered some insight into what thematic things she wanted the novel to contain. (All via a translator service since my Korean is non-existent.) Jenna is an amazing editor with a firm grasp on Park's world, and the light novel is so much better thanks to her.

I'm so excited to see Park's beautiful illustrations accompany the story, as she truly is such a talented artist with an ornate style. Not to mention, she's an amazing story-teller who can craft a complex, rich world. It was daunting at times to try and live up to the intricacies of her plotlines, but I think we have something that compliments the manhwa, and I'm really excited for January!

6 comments:

JohnEvans said...

This is great. Not only is it an actual writing job, but it looks like it's something that perfectly matches you. In summary: Yay!

Chandra Rooney said...

'Tis better, my friend, it's a completed writing job. :)

Karen Mahoney said...

So cool to see it announced! Congrats!! :)

Rachel said...

Yahoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So happy you can finally make this public as I think it's fantastic!

C. Leigh Purtill said...

very very awesome, chandra! many congrats!! and thanks for the wiki link for "light novel" for those of us not conversant in the anime world! :)

That Girl said...

A belated YAY!