Thursday, October 16, 2008

Paper and clock

Today marks a year since I signed my contract of representation with my agent, Miriam Kriss. Or, as a website tells me, the anniversary in which it is traditional to give a paper gift or modern to give a clock. Perhaps this means a story about time travel is de mode, but she'd likely appreciate my completed revisions more. (Although I did send a note predicting that those would be finished on Monday, which is In The Future... oooh...)

Miriam is the coolest agent in the world for a number of reasons, but here are the top five:

1) She loves what I write.
2) She gets what I write, which is arguably the cause of #1.
3) She knows how to make what I've written better.
4) She's honest with me.
5) She loves Neil Gaiman.

Number five, by the way, isn't something I've added because I could only think of four reasons. I do give extra points for an appreciation of Neil Gaiman. There are many authors I call "favorites," but no other has had quite the same impact on my writing.

Over the past year, Miriam has negotiated a contract for me that I completed in June, we've revised and gone on submission with an adult manuscript, and now we're in the process of revising a young adult manuscript. I still get giddy when she calls to discuss what she thought of something.

There's a misconception that having an agent reduces the amount of work you do, but I've become more productive. There's a belief that getting an agent makes everything instant and easy. It doesn't, but it's certainly better to know that you have someone in your corner.

Eagerly, I greet what this next year brings us.

4 comments:

John Evans said...

Awesome, it sounds like a dream come true.

Incidentally, if you're interested in writing time travel stories, I can help you hash out the continuity...;)

Sarah K said...

Have I mentioned that I love reading your blog? Cause I totally do. :D

Chandra Rooney said...

I might have to take you up on that offer, John.

John Evans said...

JUST AS PLANNED