Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Spiral Powers Gauge is filling

Tonight, 8 pm the CW... Reaper's back, baby! You better watch it, because there will be a quiz.



Well, a month later... I'm still working on the reader draft for SHARDS. Its villanious partnership with February to defeat me may have succeed, but March is on my side.

But a month? Really? I know the shortest month, barely a real month at all, but still even a psuedo-month spent on revisions?

Well, I can explain. You know that plot change I mentioned making about a month ago? Well, it was really only half the change it should have been. I am now making the other of the change. Largely because writing the interludes brought in something I hadn't anticipated, and the thematic element of the book will stronger this way.

It's an ongoing learning experience. You'd think it would get easier, and certain aspects do, but most of us just find new ways to challenge ourselves.

You see, the YA books have a dual narrative. A main narrative as voiced by Runa and a secondary narrative spaced throughout the main one. The first two books have used Ethanael's voice as pilot of the interludes/destroyer of my sanity. He has a very distinct voice, but it's that fun kind of challenging to write. He loves to talk, so once I'm in that headspace, the interludes just flow. Terminology is what tends to hold them up, as I'll know there's a technical term he would use that I'll have to go look up because I won't remember how to spell it. (Spellcheck does not like pianissmo, yet has no issue with cresendo.)

Interludes also have different sentence structure to them, so it's easiest for me to write the main narrative without the interludes. I revised the main narrative, and when it's "completed," I begin writing the interludes. Usually they get written in one week—the week after the week that's spent revising the main narrative.

While this perserves the voices, it means once the interludes are completed, changes echo through the main narrative. That's what the step I'm at right now.

All of this, however, happens before anyone else sees the manuscript. This is just to get the reader draft, or the first version that beta-readers will see. The reason that I don't just send it all off and see if the beta-readers agree with me is that I want to be happy with what I've written. I want it have my full support, because I know that's just the beginning of the process.

2 comments:

John Evans said...

Sounds like you're getting things accomplished and you're learning stuff...All in all, it sounds awesome. :)

One of Fred Brooks' famous software development aphorisms is "Plan to throw one away". You start creating a software application, and in the process you figure out exactly how it should be designed...so eventually you throw away all your work and start over with what you just learned!

(Woo, Reaper! I know my mom will be happy about that.)

Chandra Rooney said...

It's a good plan to have. I definitely throw most of that first draft out. :)

And yes, Reaper!