Wednesday, April 22, 2009

PREY by Rachel Vincent


Order PREY at Amazon.com or Amazon.ca.
Watch the PREY trailer.

One of the many things I admire about Rachel Vincent’s SHIFTERS series is how each book raises the bar for the next. In Pride, Vincent proved her ability to handle difficult moral questions and political situations with the best of contemporary speculative authors. PREY expands on the events of Pride, as Faythe confronts the impact of Calvin Malone’s political power play that cost her father’s place as leader of the territorial council and Marc’s place in the South-Central pride.

Plus, Manx is on trial for murder and Kaci’s refusal to shift has begun to impact her health. Leaving Faythe to balance being a caregiver, an enforcer, and a 23 year-old woman who struggles with the limitations her world wants to place on her. All without being able to seek support from Marc.

My only complaint about Pride was the lack of Faythe’s brother Ethan and his BFF Jace—which Vincent more than makes up for it in PREY. In fact, I would argue Ethan is the most important character in this book and Jace is the one that displays the most growth.

With her elegantly simple prose, Vincent deftly handles the extremely difficult emotional moments of the novel while balancing several interwoven subplots. Her plotting is tight and her writing is lean, as both she and Faythe have come a long way from STRAY. This is Vincent at her best and most compelling. Pulling no punches, PREY is both tail-kicking and heart-wrenching.

It’s not only the best book in the series (so far,) but one of the best books I’ve read this year. While I know that many readers are going to be shocked and upset by the events of the novel, I trust that what Vincent has done is necessary for her series. She’s fond of saying how PREY changes everything. All bets are off—and I can’t wait for book 5!

3 comments:

Jessica Kennedy said...

Didn't read your review BUT I'm expecting this in the mail any day now, an ARC from a friend and I CAN NOT wait to read it!

I'll come back and read your review when I've finished it!

Chandra Rooney said...

Email me after you've read it!

Natasha said...

I don't like you very much right now! *pout*
I can't wait for this!!!! I am so in love with this series!