Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Zombies are the new vampires

It seems for years there has been an abundance of sexy vampires in contemporary fantasy. Now, I like a sexy vampire now and then, but the supply has been far exceeding my personal demand. If you, however, happen to love sexy vampires then you are living in the golden age and will no doubt feel a bit threatened by what I'm going to tell you.

Zombies are the new immortal undead A listers. Maybe it's the taboo of eating flesh. Maybe it's a backlash against our culture's obession with beauty. I don't know. There are people far more invested in this who can probably answer the why? better. The important thing is to pick your favorite ghoul now so you're ready when your friends ask whom you'd rather have gnaw on your brain.

If you, like me, find the above paragraph makes you feel just the tiniest bit weary, don't despair. The recent wave of zombie fiction has made room for something refreshingly clever:



That's right Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I'm not the only person who has sat around and thought that most classic novels could be improved by the inclusion of the supernatural. Yes, it's still the Jane Austen novel and you'll have to endure some eye-glazingly dull passages, but with far less frequency than in the original text.

True be told, if concept alone didn't make you smile in glee and stick this novel in your amazon cart, you're not going to be convinced by me appealing to your wit or excellent sense of humor.

As for those of us who still have a pulse, buy this book. Tell all your friends to buy it. Not just because it's brilliant, but because it needs to do really well so Seth Grahame-Smith's historical fiction novel will get picked up so I can know what it is about beyond a unique perspective covering the early 1800s through to the mid to late 1800s and that the steampunk fans are going to enjoy it.

2 comments:

Sarah K said...

When I have some monies, I will make sure to purchase this in order to aid you in your quest of seeing him publish more books.

And also because I think I might enjoy it.

Chandra Rooney said...

I believe you will enjoy it!