Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Day for Books



Happy Canadian Book Birthday to Jackson Pearce, AKA watchmebe. Her young adult fantasy As You Wish is one I've been looking forward to for over a year, ever since I first started watching her antics on the LJ. As You Wish is just the first of many wonderful books from this talented author, so pick you copy and keep your eyes open for SISTERS RED in April 2010.



Today also marks the release of the Unbound anthology with stories from Kim Harrison, Jeaniene Frost, Jocelynn Drake, Vicki Pettersson and Melissa Marr's adult fiction debut.


Guess what? Only...oh, three months too late to be of any use for the Hugo voters, Neal Stephenson's Anathem is out in paperback. I enjoyed Neal Stephenson's earlier works, but not enough to buy him in hardcover. Especially not when these past four books have been epic doorstops and I couldn't get into Quicksilver, despite my efforts. When Anathem didn't have an electronic copy of the novel in the Hugo voter pack, and the other novels on the final ballot did, I had to go with what I had access to read or had already read. Otherwise I would have just been voting on name recognition and that wouldn't have been fair.

Anyway it's cool, because now I can read Anathem—as soon as I get through the twenty other books on my shelf.

3 comments:

KT said...

Advance warning from someone who DID buy the hardback Anathem and is STILL READING IT:

Be prepared for it to take a long, long time for the actual plot to start.

It's nicely written and an interesting setting but boy is it slow.

Chandra Rooney said...

That does not encourage me to want to read it. I mean, it could be a reflection of the internet, but I don't have the patience any more for books that can't get started within a reasonable amount of pages.

You can write a doorstop and still have the story START on the first page. I swear it can be done.

Rachel said...

For some reason all I can think of as an answer is something completely inappropriate like "making love begins the moment you wake up" or something Sting or Bono would say like that.