Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Magicians & Hush Hush review

Here are the next two of my borrowed from work reads. I would have been happy if I had bought Hunger Games and Beautiful Creatures. This time around, I'm feeling happy to see the following books go back on the shelf.

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

I liked a lot of things about this book. I loved Fitzpatrick's take on angel mythology. Plus, I laughed out loud at parts where I was supposed to. Hush Hush is a fast, easy read. (I finished it in a single sitting.)

But I never quite got over the bad taste the relationship dynamic between Patch and Nora left in my mouth. Patch is a complete asshat. Now, you can argue that's the kind of character he has to be. Ok. I'm not asking for a debate about whether bad people deserve to be loved. My concern is what their relationship dynamic in this novel idealizes. Especially to readers still formulating their models of what a healthy relationship is.

Verdict: If you want to date Edward Cullen, you'll love Hush Hush. (But you shouldn't want to date Edward Cullen.)



The Magicians
by Lev Grossman

I am certain this is a good book. It's certainly well-written. I, however, am not in the right headspace to read it at this time. It's a great "what if" for an adult version of Harry Potter, but I grew impatient and flipped to see if it was going anywhere. From the bits and bobs and I scanned, that where was Narnia.

I could have kept reading to find out the how and the why, but I decided I was more interested in the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series.

Verdict: Didn't get past Chapter 5, but would still recommend it for someone looking for a well-written, slower-paced fantasy standalone. Or an older teen seeking a potential entry point for the general fiction section.

No comments: