Falling behind! In other words, I'm revising SHARDS in response to beta-reader feedback so I'm going to skip re-gushing over the mad glee of Topher not wearing any pants. Quite frankly internet, I'm disappointed a search for "Echoes" images didn't bring that screenshot up on the first page.
So much good in this episode, beyond just the Adele and Topher dialogue that I will be quoting with friends probably for a good few months.
• I liked Alice's outfit.
• I'm glad we're finally learning about Caroline, but I'm not certain the whole PETA activist free the puppies works for me just yet—mostly because I don't understand her motivation. It came across—as it is—that this was just a means to an end of getting her where she needed to be for Bad Things To Happen. Also, possibly planting the seeds of her as Rebellion leader.
• I don't like Mellie. My prosposal to resolve this: Imprint her as FBI Paul's assassin and make him kill her. Why? Because we are past the time that the juicy identity issues this tech raises should have been used for vicious emotional angst.
• I like Victor more and more.
• This is what my feelings of FBI Paul boil down to: why is he the secondary protagonist? All this withholding of motivation wants me to believe we are building to something BIG AND SURPRISING and not just that there's a lack of attention being paid to character development.
• Is it just me or did this episode seem to ship Topher and Adele? Even if it didn't, I'm going to start. Topher and Adele sitting in a tree, e-a-t-i-n-g crisps. (Go back and view the previous episodes through a Topher Loves Adele filter for added fun!)
• Awakening next week? Really? Because that's rather early if the Escape from The Dollhouse is the big endgame of the season. Which means... what are you really planning for us, Joss, that fuels the story beyond a 13 episode arc?
• Tangential from previous thought: I'm not wowed by this
Join me in the comments if you'd like to debate the obvious conclusion that Alfa is Caroline's ex-boyfriend and thus why he didn't cut Echo up into little doll pieces. That is, if you aren't suffering from a failing of the machines that go BING (when there's stuff) or raiding your drawer of inappropriate starches.