Monday, May 31, 2010

End of May

I have been temporarily coaxed back to LJ by Karen Mahoney for her three month summer writing challenge, which will require Tuesday check-ins at her LJ space.

This reminded me I should probably do a general check in here as well.

1) Life has been somewhat insane this year. Lots of background noise. Everything scattered to the winds. Things appear to be finally focusing and that's a Very Good Thing Indeed.

2) Still working at the bookstore. Still having a good time there. My managers have decided I am their go-to-girl for teen titles, which is brilliant. Also amusing because the title I'm most excited for this summer is the Stories: All New Tales anthology that Neil Gaiman co-edited. (It is not to be found in the teen section.) You can read one of the tales from the anthology here. It's by Roddy Doyle and it's terribly amusing or amusing in a terrible way. One of those.

3) FRAGMENTS is still out on submission. We have had 3 responses so far. They went: (1) I really like this—except for the stuff I don't; (2) I loved this, but my publisher didn't get as excited as I'd hoped; (3) There's nothing 'wrong' with this, but it's just not for me.

4) Earlier this year, I spent copious amounts of time and energy repositioning THE TALE OF ARIAKE as a young adult novel. It should be going out to editors soon.

5) I'm currently working on the rough draft to a companion manuscript for TALE. It's as just over 20,000 words. It is my intention, through Kaz's accountability program, to finish the draft by the end of August. I have no idea how long that draft will be, but I'm going to say 80,000 words. It's a nice enough number, and it means I only have to manage 20,000 words a month until September.

6) I'm outlining two other 'skerit projects.' That is all I will say about them because if I say anything further I won't actually bother to do the outlining.

7) Today is Thursday has returned. Sort of.

8) The rabbit has discovered he likes to chew electrical chords. I don't know if this means he's missing an element in his diet or just suicidal, but other than that he's fine and fat and glad you all asked about him.

9) There will not be NYC posts, because I'd rather spend the time writing.

6 comments:

Karen Mahoney said...

Re. #6: Also, if you say anything further about them, they will no longer be sekrit.

*is proud of logic*

:D

Blasé said...

Why in the hell do so many women like the movie- Fight Club??

Chandra Rooney said...

Because the novel was a brilliant expression of the nihlistic viewpoint many of us felt in the late 90s and early 2000s.

And because Edward Norton beat the crap out of Brad Pitt.

Ethanael said...

First rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club.

Second rule of Fight Club is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB.

FAIL.

Sarah K said...

I'm going to try an be all accountable too! Hooray!

This will either succeed in prodding me into productivity, or it will succeed in making me find lots of other things to do to avoid being accountable. I'm really hoping for the former, but don't be overly surprised either if I end up hiding from the intertubes.

As per suicidal cord chewing Topher, there's some sort of spray that you can purchase at most pet stores that is bitter and gross tasting to discourage him from chewing things he should not be chewing. Same idea as that bitter tasting nail polish to keep humans from biting their nails.

Chandra Rooney said...

Neato. I am going looking for that spray. Maybe I can use it on Ethanael to make him blog more often.