Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone

I liked Time of Angels a lot more than Flesh and Stone. Not because Flesh and Stone isn't an important episode, but because I felt like it was trying to do too much too quickly.

And look at the shoes River wore in Time of Angels. They are so unbelievable, that you can forgive they are Not Era.

There was a lot great stuff in these episodes: the image of an angel is an angel alone is a philosophy paper. I have to say Amy wins this series. She just does. Not because she tried to seduce the Doctor, but because she's just made of more win than 11 & River Song put together.

I am considering changing the label for this to "Amy Pond FTW."

What I've concluded from these two episodes:

1) River Song killed the Doctor.

2) Steven Moffat has a thing about forests, monsters using dead people's voices to speak through communicators, and people turning off light sources. I will use this information to craft the 11th Doctor drinking game.

3) Next time there's a continuity error in something I write, I'm going to say to my agent "Look, a giant crack in time!" because giant cracks in time explain everything. And they eat people. Then make you forget that the person ever existed. Giant cracks in time are like what Weeping Angels want to be when they grow up.

4) For example: Giant cracks in time explain how despite that the whole basis of the Weeping Angels is that they quantum lock when you're watching them, they don't actually know when you have your eyes closed.

5) All space ships should have forests on them. Forests on space ships are AWESOME.

7 comments:

Sarah K said...

Hmm. You didn't even come close to touching on the stuff I thought you might touch on. Interesting.

River's shoes were great. I want those shoes.

I didn't get the 'They can't tell you're eyes are closed' thing. I choose to ignore it.

I do not choose to ignore the Doctor's sudden and dramatic change in character when he is giving Amy a pep talk before kissing her on the forehead and leaving her. OR THAT HIS JACKET WAS ON WHEN IT HAPPENED. You know, the one that the Angels were left clinging to? That jacket. He was wearing it.

I think I don't know what the Doctor wants Amy to remember him saying is because the viewer doesn't know yet. I rewatched The Eleventh Hour. It is implied that he did see her again when she was 7. I think we just haven't seen it happen yet because we follow the Doctor's timeline through the series.

Speaking of the Angels clutching his jacket— that was the thing that irritated me most in the episode. It seemed a lame and glossed over escape.

Chandra Rooney said...

TBH, when I was coming up with what I was going to write I was watching the season finale of Gossip Girl and decided to keep the "um WTF?" to the biggest annoyance I had.

Notice, I did not mention that they shot the angels with bullets despite having an ammunition shortage.

Or that Angels don't kill you. It's stated specifically by 10 that Angels don't kill you. Yet people--and I think the Doctor, too--kept screaming that the Angels were going to kill them.

Or the utter stupidity of Amy being "not clingy" and made of win to trying to seduce 11.

So we agree that this was not one of the better Steven Moffat adventures?

Sarah K said...

We sort of agree. It lost points in execution [a lot of points], but overall, I liked it. No, it does not compare to his other episodes made of OMG FAVOURITEST.

I'm pretending that shooting the Angels had more to do with providing what light they could. Also, what does a bullet shortage matter when they are the only threat?

They never explained why the Angels were all murderous. That bothered me. Unless it was because they wanted to stop the Doctor from stealing their radiation resurrection from them or something. If I think about it, I can easily rationalise it away, actually. But I shouldn't *have* to. There's a difference between not insulting your viewer's intelligence, and expecting them to speculate on vaguely presented plot points and the world's science to explain for themselves a major deviation in mythos.

Amy trying to seduce the Doctor amused me, because it wasn't even slightly lovey dovey. He was all 'this never works out, bjorken hearts blah' and she was all 'HORNY NOW'. I didn't think there was anything that clingy about it. The girl just had a post-traumatic-near-death experience itch.

Matt Smith sure does know how to keep his suspenders on. That amused me muchly.

I know it doesn't sound like I enjoyed it, but honestly. I did.

Chandra Rooney said...

I can't ignore the not-knowing-your-eyes-are-closed.

I don't ask that fiction obey the laws of our reality, but I demand it obeys the laws of its reality.

Now I can hypothesize that the giant crack in time made it so the angels couldn't actually tell when anyone was really looking at them because their quantum lock abilities went all wonky. The point is I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to explain something that ultimately accomplishes nothing besides making us worry for Amy when she shouldn't have been left in the first place.

I call bullshit. Despite anything else the episode does, I still call bullshit.

It's like how you called bullshit on Peter just not letting Walter talk to him because it would prevent the plot twist Fringe wanted to do.

Ethanael said...

GIANT CRACKS IN TIME ARE HOW DALEKS MAKE TEA.

Sarah K said...

She shouldn't have been left. That also bothered me. She is continually getting left behind, which is very unlike previous Doctors and their providing of tasks.

Sure they could move faster without her. Or one of those strapping young military clerics could have carried her on his back. Piggy back style.


And, I agree, the comparison to my issue with Fringe is apt.

Sarah K said...

Also, Ethanael, does this mean I need a Giant Crack in Time in order to also have a Dalek Teapot?