Monday, June 28, 2010

Cold Blood


Hey remember in The Eleventh Hour when Rory drove that sweet mini cooper to the hospital and he did a burn out when got there? Wasn't that awesome?

Or when he fought a Space Fish Vampire with a broom? Wasn't also awesome?

You know what wasn't awesome? KILLING RORY WITH A HEAT RAY.

You know what was even less awesome than that? NEGATING HIS EXISTENCE BY FEEDING HIM TO THE GIANT CRACK IN TIME & SPACE.

When I was younger, I saw a TV adaptation of Ray Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder." It's the short story where the guy goes back in time to hunt a T-Rex but he steps off the path and kills a butterfly. When the guy returns to the future, he doesn't exist. My entire reaction to the show was "...but if he doesn't exist, who stepped on the butterfly?" (And if that's not what happened in the episode, pretend it is so you can see where I'm going with this.)

So here's my question... if Rory doesn't exist, who saved the Doctor? Who fought Space Fish Vampires? Who noticed all the coma patients walking around? Is the solution to shoot Chris Chibnall for causing this paradox? (No.)

As for parts of this episode that didn't give me a massive headache... what I really liked was when the woman wasn't the best of humanity and the Doctor told her that she was going to raise her son to be better than her. You think, oh look at how merciful he's being after she really screwed up. Except, he isn't being merciful. He's being horrid by making her live the rest of her life with the knowledge of how badly she screwed up. And he's done it with a smile.

5 comments:

Sarah K said...

I'm just curious if you had this same paradoxical issue with the episode Blink? The events in that episode couldn't happen because they relied on the future events to shape the past events so that the present day story they were telling could occur.

If I let myself get a headache everytime something happens that should negate what's happened before, I'd never be able to watch the show.

Although, I have to say, I do wish they'd work revised versions of what's come before into the show so we could see how Amy remembers them now.

AND. I'm still sad that Rory is gone. Because I loved him, horrible mullet and all.

(You can't see it, but I'm pouting.)

Chandra Rooney said...

No. Blink doesn't have this issue, because the way Blink ends states pretty clearly that everything happened in the episode as it was going to happen.

Plus no one's existence is negated in Blink. Going back in time? Doesn't undo your life up until the point that you went back in time. You still exist in a time line.

Rory doesn't exist at all. He was never there to influence Amy's life or give her support or be the reason that she runs away with the Doctor.

Yet she remains the same person, despite that one of the most important people in her life never existed.

It's not so much the undoing what's come before, it's the going against what has always been at the heart of this show... the difference that a single person makes in the universe.

Sarah K said...

I see what you're saying.

I reserve judgment until the season is over, I think. I am holding out that this will all make sense in the end.

Maybe it comes from having watched all the previous seasons in the span of a week, but I think that I'm just not capable of analysing the story chapter by chapter. If, by the time we close the book on the last episode this season, these things aren't dealt with, I'll be disappointed.



Also, I don't think Amy is *quite* the same. She was much screamier than she's ever been in Vincent & The Doctor. Maybe next week we'll see other variations in her personality? (Again, this is me hoping, because in the name of good storytelling, it's something that should be done).

Chandra Rooney said...

As I said on Twitter, I trust it will be resolved... but it doesn't lessen my frustration with it happening.

Had we been shown a revised memory montage or something, then I'd be fine. I just want the acknowledgment that something has to have changed, because it upsets me to believe Rory's life was completely inconsequential.

I wonder if the Doctor gets headaches, too, because isn't there the implication that he remembers stuff that didn't happen? (Damn you again, Moffat, I wrote that a year ago.)

Sarah K said...

Yeah.... at the end of series one, Rose says she can see everything that was, everything it is, everything that could be, and the Doctor was all 'Me too OMG let me fix your head!'

Also, he's stated this season that he remembers the things that were swallowed because of his time-travellingness.

You know what? I just realised that if the Time Travellers View Time Differently Clause doesn't apply to Amy where Rory is concerned, it also shouldn't apply to the Doctor as far as the end of Series Four is concerned. I mean, it doesn't affect his WHOLE timeline the way Rory should be affecting Amy's, but it certainly affected him in a serious way after the fact.

The rules not applying to him because of his Time Lordyness gets really confusing when the rules are already confusing.