Thursday, June 03, 2010

Vampires of Venice

Best. Episode. Yet.

Because of vampires? Because of Venice? NO. Because Rory is the best secondary companion ever. Unimpressed by the TARDIS. Quick to understand that the Doctor is dangerous because he makes people want to impress him. But most importantly: Rory fought space fish vampires with a broom!

Oh, yeah, and the Doctor jumped out of a cake at Rory's bachelor party.

I love this episode, really. Because there was some thought put into it. More than just the lush scenery and the fabulous dynamic of Doctor & Amy & Rory, there was a logical explanation for why the "vampires" didn't have reflections but why we still saw their teeth.

I love silly and fun, don't get me wrong, and I love just plain creepy, too, but you can be silly & fun & creepy and still have monster/alien mechanics that make sense.

Which is why I'm confused over the Queen Space Fish Vampire having to undress before she jumped into the water, but I'm going to say that her perception filter got jammed on and overwhelmed her brain so that she got all confused and had to undress. Or she just wanted to be really DRAMATIC.

Did I mention Rory fought a Space Fish Vampire with a broom?

3 comments:

Sarah K said...

With the wrong, not-damaging end of the broom, even! Rory is a darling.

You didn't even mention the amazing off switch. I love that little toggle SO MUCH.

Chandra Rooney said...

No, I was too preoccupied with "OH YEAH, HE JUMPED OUT OF THE CAKE!"

JQ said...

I Loved that he popped out of the cake!

"I'm a Time Lord. You're a big fish. Think of the children."

*squealz!*