Monday, July 19, 2010

I Write Like?

So anyone who's been following me on Twitter knows I've spent the past few days fascinated with this website called I Write Like. It analyzes the writing you input into the field by word choice and style to best match it to an existing "famous" author.

Now I have tried everything. A paragraph. A scene. A chapter. But it wasn't until today that someone with a much more logical mind than I suggested I put an entire manuscript into the field. (Mostly because I assumed anything over 5000 words would crash the site.)


Here are the results of the analysis of the entire manuscripts (supposedly). I'll put them in order of 'completion.'

FRAGMENTS: Cory Doctorow.
SHARDS: H.P. Lovecraft.
TALE: William Gibson.
The Magpie Book (in progress): Cory Doctorow.

Now, is there anything to this? That's the real question. Because I've put in blog entries and gotten James Joyce even when I parodying Pride & Prejudice's opening line.

I can't say anyone has commented that TALE reminds them of William Gibson, because most of the people who've read TALE for me haven't read Gibson. It's also interesting that a mythic realism story is coming up as being in the style of one of the originators of cyberpunk. My guess is that the Japanese terms are being given more weight than they should be.



It's also intriguing that FRAGMENTS and SHARDS—which are two consecutive manuscripts in a series—generate such a drastically different result. Although they were purposely focused on being different kinds of stories. SHARDS is more of a horror story, whereas FRAGMENTS is more quest-focused.

But there might, just maybe, be something to the analysis that I Write Like conducts. When my agent first read FRAGMENTS, she told me afterward that it reminded her of Cory Doctorow's Little Brother. (Because of the Gamer element.)

Then again, anything like this should be taken with a grain of salt because I could get I Write Like to tell me anyone from Stephenie Meyer (Chapter 10) and Dan Brown (Chapter 26) to Neil Gaiman (Chapter 28) and Rudyard Kipling (Chapter 16) for parts of TALE.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

That's great company you're in! I have heard of that app but haven't tried it. I read somewhere that it was a random author generator but who knows? Cheers~

Rachel V. Olivier said...

I tried it but I was disappointed at all the male authors it seems to generate. Why don't I write like Marion Zimmer Bradley? Not that there's anything wrong with writing like H.P. Lovecraft, but you know what I mean.

I'm glad you got Cory Doctorow and William Gibson. That's cool.