Thursday, September 02, 2010

September Goals

I'm counting down until I'm on vacation in Los Angeles, and stubbornly ignoring the steady creeping closer to my birthday. Started a new job a couple weeks ago, and I should be able to talk about it soon. Definitely in another couple weeks.

It's now September, which means it's time to set the Monthly Goals.
 
• 1/2 through the existing material I had for EIGHT FOR WISHING. So another 30,000 words to re-hash and then it will be new material.
It feels right. Finally. Like it fits with the book that came before it and it's telling stories that are relevant to one another instead of ones that don't want to play nicely together.

Goal: Writing fresh words beyond where the re-hashing ends by the end of September.

• 2800 words in battle mech book 1. It is not the Victorian Boarding School one anymore—that's book two. Realized this is a trilogy and will be working on outlining the 3 book arcs this month. The trilogy and all three books need titles. Or at least something better than "book one" for the file name.
I still think it's a bigger idea than I am a writer, but I'm not getting any better by not writing it.

Goal: first book outlined by end of September.

• 800 words into THE LOST ART OF CONSUMING DREAMS. So far the greatest stumbling block has been what colored shoes a well-dressed monster pairs with a gray pinstripped suit. (The answer settled on was: Shiny black.)
It wants to be written, and I am eager to see what shape it takes.
Goal: 3 strong chapters and an outline to show M by end of September. Hopefully she can tell me if it's YA or not.

Books to be delighted by this month:

1) Plain Kate by Erin Bow: Scholastic Canada is pushing this one, and 60 pages in I am wholeheartedly agreeing with their decision. Wondrous Eastern European medieval setting. Lyrical prose. A girl who's good with a carving knife. An albino witch. Gypsys and a talking cat.

2) The paperback for Enchanted Glass.

3) Dexter is Delicious. Yes, he is. (You aren't reading the Dexter novels? Really? Well, you'd better start or we can't be friends anymore.)

There are others: Paranormalcy, Halo, Firelight... but I'm on the fence about them.
   
Paranormalcy sounds interesting because it's funny. Firelight because it's dragons. Halo... well, it's pure cover love. That's all. But it's a book about angels with a really pretty cover and I have yet to be thrilled by any book about angels with a pretty cover in the Teen section.

5 comments:

Sarah K said...

...was there a book 2 to be delighted by, or only a 1 and a 3?

I'm glad to hear (well, y'know, read) that the rewrite is going well.

Chandra Rooney said...

I think book 2 was the paperback for Enchanted Glass.

But maybe there is no book 2.

Sarah K said...

That is very zen. Or Matrixy. Or something.

I haven't heard of most of those books. Other than Dexter. I hear he's delicious.

Leslie said...

I'd better get reading those Dexter books! I have to agree with you on the shiny black shoes as well. Good luck with your goals. I'm glad the rewrite feels good.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

I have not been reading much at all and decided I really need to get back into it. Then last week got asked to be a moderator for a panel and now I really need to read! I don't know. It's like anything else. You need stamina and I gotta get mine back.