Sunday, January 01, 2012

One simple, good day where all is new again.

They say in Japan that how you spend the first day of the new year sets the tone for the entire year, and if that is true then I shall spend it relaxed, content to be where I am, and occasionally delighted. At the very least amused at my obliviousness that causes me to get off at the wrong station, and then trust that I've got time and another train is coming and I needed to dispose of my coffee cup, anyway.

I'll be up before the alarm goes off, and somewhat overdressed, and spilling out into the neighborhood before it's afternoon. I'll have time and be early instead of feeling like I'm running late.

It's also going to rain a lot, but I'll have an umbrella or it won't be more than a few drops that don't amount to much of anything. It won't be as cold as it looks, and people will be in better moods for it. I'll listen to music and laugh with friends and have my expectations exceeded by allowing things to be what they will. Maybe I'll miss a phone call or two, but that's what voicemail is for.

There will be proper breakfast, even if it happens at 3:30, and I'll write and I'll blog and be well-rested enough to be optimistic about what comes tomorrow. To believe there will be enough time in the day to fit it all in without straining.

And maybe I'll lose that clear-headed certainty that it'll all work out eventually or forget to look for what's open when everything appears to be closed. But I had it today, which means I can find it again. Right now that's really all that matters.

No comments: