Saturday, December 29, 2012

New Year's resolution

I was in BC with my family for the holidays during this week, and Christmas Day we happened on the last 30 minutes of The Runaway Bride (the Doctor Who special from 2006.) I found myself watching with a comforting sort of deja vu.

Toward the end of the special, the Tenth Doctor tells Donna to "be magnificent." It stopped me cold, because I remember watching it for the first time and taking that suggestion as my new year's resolution—that I would be magnificent in 2007.

2007 was when I went back to Japan for the first time since I'd lived there. It was when I decided to be serious about publishing and started querying agents. It was a hell of year. I was most definitely magnificent. (I was stupendous in 2008, if you're wondering.)

Now, New Year's resolution time is here again. So many promises I want to make myself, so many things I want to accomplish. Feels a bit like I spent a lot of this year banging my head against a wall—a wall that I couldn't quite convince myself to admit was there. (It's hard to let go of things, and it's hardest to let go of the things you love.)

I am unafraid of what is coming next. I have no idea what it is, but I'm ready for it. In 2013 I am going to finish writing a manuscript. Then I am going to start writing another one. In between and around and during that process, I'm going to be magnificent.

That's it. That's really all there needs to be.

6 comments:

Jim said...

You ARE magnificent! I just keep telling the universe "I'm open.". Then I have to keep reminding myself. XOXO

Sara Walker said...

I loved the Tenth Doctor. Miss him.

I love this post. You are magnificent, and I have no doubt you will achieve another magnificent year.

Brendan Langlois said...

We open our arms to the universe to
receive everything magnificent and more!! Love you.

Chandra Rooney said...

Thanks, all! (And possibly Mom using Brendan's G+ profile.)

Charles said...

That's the spirit!

Also hi! This is the individual formerly known as LordOfTheSofa on deviantART. In retrospect I liked you a lot and feel like I was a jerk for not keeping closer contact with the people I most liked through there. :(

Forgive the awkwardness of this comment but I'm in a hurry cleaning out my old Yahoo mailbox and getting in contact with old web buddies from way back in the day. Hope you're well!

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Reminders to be magnificent - we seem to hear them more when we're younger, I think. We're ready to launch into it. Then we get lost in the everydayness of things. Sometimes it's hard to hear that call over the din of the mundane. Thank you for the reminder.