Thursday, March 07, 2013

Is this thing on?

A friend sent me this link today, and it contains probably the simplest but truest writing advice ever. "I will write again. It feels great!"

I wish there was a profound or at least exciting reason for my blogging absence, but I don't really have anything. I don't like the winter much, and February was hard, and I sort of decided that I didn't want to blog unless I could be inspiring. Because what's here is here always. (I know I've blogged about this before, the digital sense of evernow and how whatever you read when you read it forms your opinion of my current feelings.) So I journaled a bit instead because it was private and honest and you can fill a pretty notebook with ugly thoughts just to get them out of your head.

Also, I've got to stop reading Adult Fiction. It's rotting my brain. Said in jest, but only half-so. I have been reading a ridiculous amount of books. It's disgusting. I should stop. Not completely, mind, because that's impractical given my job—but I've got to cut back on this decision to read instead of write. I've read almost a third of the total of books I read last year, and we're not even two-and-a-half months in.

It sounds weird to profess that reading is a bad thing, but reading as avoidance of writing is a bad thing. Because writing feels good. I'm going to make an effort to do more of it.

2 comments:

Leigh Purtill said...

We can blame not writing on winter? How about in So Cal? Does it count here too?

Cheers to reading! I've been reading some amazing YA and adult fiction.

Chandra Rooney said...

I don't know, but it's definitely a thing in Toronto. Everyone's mood improves 150% when we see the sun again.

It's like June Gloom... and freezing.